Call for Entries Virginia Benitez Licuanan Award in History Writing Essay Writing Contest
The Ateneo Library of Women’s Writings (ALiWW) announces the launch of the Virginia Benitez Licuanan Award in History Writing in celebration of the 100th birth anniversary of Virginia Benitez Licuanan – writer, editor, and educator.
Established through the generosity of Dr. Patricia B. Licuanan and Mr. Francisco H. Licuanan III to honor their mother, the award seeks to widen the space for histories written by women by encouraging the production of historical writings by local Filipina authors:
- who exhibit good scholarship,
- whose writings are accessible to a general audience, and
- who present original perspectives on relevant historical topics.
The theme for this year is “WOMEN IN PHILIPPINE HISTORY.” Topics may include but are not limited to:
- Notable women in Philippine History (whether as an individual, group, or community)
- Women in the context of cultural history, political history, social history, regional or local history, personal or family history